Academics & Safety Training, Educational & Fun Activities, Community Events & Parades
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Over the years Seekers of Knowledge has turned into not just
an organization,but a unique family.Each member is cherished
for their individual talents through which they are empowered
by the mission of SOK.
Mission of Seekers of Knowledge is to support the development of at risk girls ages 6-18 through the art of creative expression, academic support, and social/emotional development.We instill in each "Seeker" the importance of encouragement, understanding,team-building, respect, discipline, and community service.
History The late Shirley Gaines established Seekers of Knowledge in Whiteville North Carolina in 1995. In 1998 the torch was passed on to Mrs. Gaines's daughter Cynthia Gaines who later decided to bring the program to Boston Massachusetts; with the expansion of the participants and the programs growth,Seekers of Knowledge went from a program to a full non- profit organization operating four successful programs.Located in the Dorchester section of Boston, Seekers of Knowledge have served over 850 girls from the Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, Hype Park, and Roslindale communities .
As members go through the programs,they are taught how to deal with issues relevant to body image,bullying, racism, and the importance of eating healthy. These girls not only learn the art of creative expression, but they also participate in weekly peer groups centered on social and personal development, self esteem, and health/hygiene.There is also a strong community service component to the Seekers of Knowledge organization as we help young women engage in "giving back" through performance and mentoring.
Seekers of Knowledge has developed into 3 main areas:
- Developing and empowering young ladies through the art of creative expression.
- Providing a safe environment for young ladies to grow socially, emotionally, and academically.
- Creating and performing unique, educational, and empowering productions.
Seekers of Knowledge provides:
- Professional training in dance including; Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Contemporary,African, and Stepping techniques.
- Artistic knowledge and expression through serveral avenues such as Journal Writing, public speaking, theatre, and arts & craft.
- Performance opportunities for young girls to educate, entertain, and uplift the Boston community.
- Knowledge in current issues facing young ladies from their communities through community service and education.
- Academic support and social responsibility.
- Cultural awarness through exchanges with national and international organizations.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE UP TO NOW ?
SOCIAL IMPACT WE ARE MAKING IN OUR COMMUNITY
YOUTH ARE THE HEART AND SOUL OF AMERICA'S EFFORT TO FIGHT RACISM.
W E WANT OUR CAMPAIGN TO REACH THOUSANDS OF YOUTH ACROSS
AMERICA TO RISE UP AND TAKE A STAND AGAINST BULLYING AND RACISM.
WE BELIEVE LIKE THE MEMBERS OF SEEKERS OF KNOWLEDGE , YOUTH HAVE
THE ENERGY,COMMITTMENT, AND CREATIVITY REQUIRED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
JOIN OUR SPEAK UP AND SPEAK OUT AGAINST
RACISM AND BULLYING CAMPAIGN.
OUR ANTI-BULLYING & RACISM CAMPAIGN
JOIN US AS WE TAKE SEEKER STEPS TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD TO
STOP BULLYING AND RACISM IN OUR COMMUNITIES.
WHEN A VICTIM OF A RACIST ACT OR SOMEONE WHO ARE BEING
BULLIED AND ARE AFFRAID TO USE HIS/ HER VOICE TO SHARE WHAT IS
GOING ON, SHE/HE CAN EXPRESS WHAT IS GOING ON THROUGH THE ARTS.
Please go to our Anti Bulling face book page at
Seekers Says StoptheBullying
become our friend, join our campaign, share your opinion
about Racism and Bullying.